What is Naturopathic Nutrition?
Naturopathic medicine involves assessing the causes of symptoms or disease in the body that result from imbalance and provides therapeutic protocols or plans to address root causes as opposed to suppressing symptoms. It also seeks to identify ways to help prevent illness. You could describe it as part science and part philosophy.
It is distinguished by the following principles:
- The healing power of nature and the body’s inherent ability to repair, remodel and recover.
(when barriers to cure are removed).
- Identify the cause.
Find and address the underlying cause of illness rather than just treating symptoms. If you only ever focus on the symptoms, the root cause of imbalance will always remain.
- First do no harm.
It favours the most natural, least toxic and least invasive therapies first or alongside conventional medicine.
- Support the individual.
Assess not just the physical condition but also factors that influence health and well-being. This may include lifestyle, environment, limiting factors and support system.
- Educate others.
Empowering and educating others in the art of self-care and the steps they need to take to achieve better health.
Encourages the promotion of health and the prevention of disease rather than waiting to act after a diagnosis has been made.
These principles and philosophies result in a practice that acknowledges every person is an individual and empowers them to accept and take greater responsibility for their health.
Naturopathic Nutrition incorporates respect for the traditional naturopathic approach and recognises that:
- Individuals have a unique interaction with nutrients.
- The foods we select, their preparation and the way we eat them is important.
- Whole foods are greater than the sum of their parts. Whole foods contain ingredients which work synergistically in the body.
The practice of Naturopathic Nutrition may include appropriate recommendations and advice on:
- Individually assessed diet.
- Optimal food preparation.
- Traditional approaches to detoxification.
- Lifestyle recommendations to optimise dietary therapy.
- Full and clear information that empowers and encourages each individual to achieve optimal health and well-being.
“Take care of your body. It’s the only place you have to live.”Jim Rohn